New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, Monday, September 18,...
The Aberdeen Hospital
Patient Switchboard: 902-755-6260Administrative Switchboard: 902-752-7600
For More Information Visit: Nova Scotia Health – Aberdeen Hospital
The services provided include:
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- General Surgery
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Palliative Care
Primary Health Care
Pictou County has both established collaborative care practices including the East Side Health Centre, West Side Health Centre, Pictou West Health Centre, the Westville Medical Clinic, and traditional family medicine practices in Stellarton, New Glasgow, and Pictou. NSHA also partners with the Pictou Landing First Nation Health Centre to deliver healthcare services at Pictou Landing First Nation community.
Emergency Department Redevelopment
Completed in 2017, the Emergency Department at the Aberdeen Hospital underwent an extensive redevelopment to improve the layout and workflow of the existing space. The Level 2 emergency department provides 24/7 access to emergency services. All rooms are equipped with critical care equipment, and the 25,000-square-foot space features two isolation rooms and specialty rooms including two triage rooms and two trauma bays, with direct access to the helipad. The all-weather ambulance bay has a two-way drive through, providing ease of access and transport of patients. Patient rooms are fully accessible, single-occupancy, and are located around the exterior of the space with stations and staff in the centre for ease of visual monitoring and proximity to those in need of care. The unit is fully secured, swipe-access entry with 24/7 security, and places patient-care at the forefront.
Northern Zone Orthopedic Assessment Clinic
Orthopedic Assessment Clinics are located throughout Nova Scotia to help patients with hip and/or knee arthritis better manage their pain and increase their quality of life.
The Orthopedic Assessment Clinic for patients from Nova Scotia Health’s Northern Zone (Colchester County, Cumberland County, Pictou County and the Municipality of East Hants), is located at 10 North Novie Drive, Plymouth, within the East River Business Park (close to Aberdeen Hospital).
The new Northern Zone Orthopedic Assessment Clinic opened in November 2020 as part of Nova Scotia Health’s Hip and Knee Action Plan and was made possible with the generous support of the Aberdeen Health Foundation, which provided funding to furnish and equip the gym space and other necessary equipment.
The clinic is located at ground level, with free parking and can be reached at 902-396-1198.
Orthopedic Assessment Clinic Services
If a patient’s primary care provider (family doctor, nurse practitioner etc.) believes they have exhausted resources to help manage symptoms of arthritis, they will make a referral to an Orthopedic Assessment Clinic. After receiving a referral, the clinic team schedules an appointment where they complete a medical and physical assessment to help patients make an “Arthritis Action Plan.”
This plan may include non-surgical options such as the Conservative Management Program. This program is offered through the Orthopedic Assessment Clinic for people living with arthritis who do not need joint replacement surgery. It can give them the tools to live a healthier life with less pain and may help patients avoid or delay the need for joint replacement surgery altogether.
Other patients will be referred to see a surgeon to see if joint replacement surgery may be the best option.
Patients who are candidates for surgery are offered several weeks of Pre-habilitation through their Orthopedic Assessment Clinic. This education and physical activity program is aimed at helping them prepare for their surgery and recovery so they know what to expect and can get the best possible results. Patients can also expect to visit the Orthopedic Assessment Clinic for a checkup after their surgery.
Mental Health and Addictions Program – Services in Pictou County
Residents of Pictou County have access to a continuum of Mental Health and Addictions services and supports to help meet their needs, including:
- Program website offers free and confidential e-Mental Health services available 24/7 to all Nova Scotians by visiting www.MHAHelpNS.ca.
- Provincial Mental Health and Addictions Crisis Line is available 24/7 to anyone experiencing a mental health and/or addictions crisis, their family and friends, as well as those who support clients with a mental health and/or addictions crisis by calling 1-888-429-8167.
- Mental Health and Addictions Intake Service is available Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Voicemail is available on evenings, weekends and holidays by calling 1-855-922-1122. The intake service provides triage, screening, and navigation for Mental Health and Addictions programs, where an intake clinician can help determine what services and supports best meet the needs of the individual seeking help. Patients can then be linked with Community Mental Health and Addictions clinics, Recovery Support Services, or Opioid Replacement Treatment Programs as well as be referred to other appropriate resources in their community.
- Community Mental Health and Addictions Clinic is located at 690 East River Rd. in New Glasgow. This clinic includes a team of mental health and addictions professionals who provide services on an outpatient (individual or group) basis. The team provides assessment, diagnosis and treatment, and outreach services that can help people manage mental illness, addictions, and concurrent disorders. The team works with individuals, families, community organizations, family physicians, and others.
- Opioid Replacement Treatment Program is located at 690 East River Rd. in New Glasgow. The program offers opioid maintenance therapy and programming to individuals with an addiction to opioids. It includes assessment, treatment planning, relapse prevention, and supportive counselling which is provided by a team of health care professionals.
- Pictou County Recovery Support Centre (previously known as Withdrawal Management Services) is now located at the Aberdeen Hospital. This new location provides a safe, inviting, therapeutic environment for individuals and their families, clinicians, and staff, and a location well-suited to provide high-quality clinical care and psychosocial support. Here we can better support the recovery and wellbeing of patients and their loved ones. This service is by appointment only and is not a walk-in service.
- When patients require admission for psychiatric care they are transferred to the nearest Inpatient Acute Psychiatric Unit. These services are for people who cannot be safely assessed, diagnosed, and stabilized in the community. Inpatient units are available across the province. The nearest unit to Pictou County is Colchester East Hants Health Centre in Truro. Upon discharge, patients are offered follow-up by their local Community Mental Health and Addictions Team.