The Pictou County Personal Empowerment Program...
Healthcare Foundations Day & National Philanthropy Day Coincide; Raising Awareness of Good
Once again, health care foundations in Nova Scotia are coming together to raise awareness about the essential work they do to support and enhance health care in Nova Scotia.
November 15, 2019 marks the third provincially-recognized Health Care Foundations Day, observed by the 41 foundations that directly support the hospitals and health centres operated by Nova Scotia Health Authority. The day is held in recognition of the significant contributions they make to the health system across the province. Through the generous support of donors, these foundation raise and invest millions of dollars every year to support initiatives such as:
- purchase needed medical equipment
- fund hospital construction and renovation projects
- support professional education, learning and development
- sponsor scholarships/bursaries for students pursuing careers in health care
- support research and innovation
A 2018 public opinion survey by the Nova Scotia Health Authority showed a clear majority – 62 per cent – of those surveyed have made a financial contribution to a hospital foundation in the past two years. This backs the fact thousands of Nova Scotians help support the work of hospital foundations, including approximately 500 volunteer board members.
“Each and every day across Nova Scotia, hospital foundations and hundreds of volunteers work hard to support health care in their communities,” notes Brad Jacobs, Chair of Health Care Foundation of Nova Scotia. “It is important to acknowledge this work and to continue to encourage people to give. Taking a day to pause and reflect on the significance of the charitable sector’s role in health care delivery is important for our donors and volunteers. We thank the NSHA for their partnership and continued support in helping our Foundations help them continue to have a positive impact on patients and families.”
In the past five years alone, these hospital foundations have contributed over $100-million to support patient care, education and research within Nova Scotia Health Authority.
The 2019 Health Care Foundation’s Day is also coinciding with National Philanthropy Day; an annual event held to honour, recognize, and say “Thank You” to those who contribute their time, talents, and financial support to Nova Scotia’s philanthropic organizations.
“Philanthropy is alive and well in Pictou County, this community continues to give generously through the Aberdeen Health Foundation to enhance health care,” says Executive Director Michelle Ferris. “There is a spirit of generosity all year long here, so it’s wonderful to celebrate all that it makes possible as part of National Philanthropy Day.” Last year the Foundation directed nearly $1.5 million to advance medical equipment, programs, and community based health supports and is on track to meet or exceed that again this year.
“The Health Care Foundations of Nova Scotia provide a strong base of support for the health system.” said NSHA’s Interim President and CEO Janet Davidson. “They raise and invest millions of dollars every year in support of patient care, education and research that make our health system stronger. We are grateful to the generous donors, volunteers and staff who make those contributions possible.”
Did you know?
- There are 41 dynamic hospital foundations that support the hospitals and health centres operated by Nova Scotia Health Authority. They are committed to making the health care system stronger for Nova Scotians.
- In the past five years, these hospital foundations have contributed more than $100 million to the province’s health system.
- Every year, Nova Scotia’s hospital foundations buy hundreds of pieces of much-needed medical equipment.
- More than 100 health research projects have benefited from hospital foundation donors this year alone. The impact of this research will have lasting affects for generations to come.
- Thousands of Nova Scotians help support the work of hospital foundations, including about 500 volunteer board members.
- In our 2018 public opinion survey 62 per cent of those surveyed indicated they made a financial contribution to a hospital foundation in the past two years.
Where would your local hospital be without its supporting health care foundation?
Help spread the awareness of Healthcare Foundations Day!