New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, Monday, September 18,...
WANTED: External Finance Professional
Do you love numbers? Reconciling them, reporting and analyzing them, digging into the financial records that support them?
The Aberdeen Health Foundation Society is seeking a new External Finance Professional – an individual or organization – to transition certain of our finance processes and controls from a volunteer Board member to a highly capable pro that can keep pace with our strategy in support of advancing the delivery of healthcare in Pictou County.
What we are expecting from our External Finance Pro:
- An excellent communicator with demonstrated experience in a not for profit environment;
- Confidence in accounting fundamentals and controls;
- Bookkeeping tasks such as accrual journal entries, reconciliations and completing working papers, using Cloud based technology such as Sage and Microsoft OneDrive
- Preparing month end financial reporting from Sage, and annual external financial statements and related note disclosures
- Analyzing financial results and performance of the organization and presenting these to the Executive Director and Finance Committee
- Ensuring financial books and records are accurate and up to date
- Executing the annual Budget preparation process (typically in December/January)
- Provide support and advice to Foundation staff to ensure invoices and donations are recorded appropriately with appropriate controls around the revenue and payable cycles
- Coordinate information to facilitate the annual audit of financial statements and preparation of Charitable Tax returns (T3010)
- Administrative oversight to the Sage accounting software system: account structures, reporting, workflows, backup and user access
- Proactive in providing advice on matters such as Finance Policy and continuous improvements in finance and accounting processes
- Ad hoc financial analysis and advice, as requested
- Preparing CRA returns on time – GST/HST
- The ability to begin transition in January 2022
We anticipate this will be 10-20 hours per month. The functions are currently performed by a volunteer Board member.
What you can expect from us:
- We are outcome oriented, we do not set hours, but will have deadlines;
- A virtual working experience, we do not expect regular face to face contact;
- Annual investment income of ~$1.8M/year, and an investment portfolio to support this level of investment income. The majority of which is donated back to our community, to advance health care delivery in Pictou County through several qualifying donee organizations;
- Annual donation revenue of ~$200k per year, operating/admin expenses of ~$150k;
- Several Endowment funds and Restricted and Unrestricted funds and deferred accounts;
A cloud based accounting software tool that you can access from your own laptop/computer; however, it is expected that the partner will maintain the necessary operating system and internet security protocols to operate independently and maintain client privacy and confidentiality.
If you or your organization are interested in this opportunity, please submit a proposal or brief that at a minimum demonstrates your experience, fee/pricing and at least two relevant references by
November 24, 2021. Questions or clarifications can also be submitted below.
Submissions may be directed to: