Funded through the Aberdeen Health Foundation’s Children’s Aid Society of Pictou County Endowment Fund
The Pat Lord Post-Secondary Education Award for Pictou County Adoptees was created in 2009 to recognize the work of Mrs. Pat Lord, Adoption Worker with the Children’s Aid Society of Pictou County, who retired after 39 years of service.
When the long time private agency was integrated into the Department of Community Services in 2010, funds from donations and bequests to the Children’s Aid Society of Pictou County were transferred to the Aberdeen Health Foundation, and an endowment fund was created. Funding for this award comes from this endowment, and is awarded based on the recommendation of a Selection Committee.
This award is available to any youth who was in the care of the child welfare system either in Pictou County or elsewhere in NS, and who was placed for adoption by or through the Children’s Aid Society of Pictou County. This award is not based on academic success, but rather, it requires the applicant to have demonstrated involvement in their school or in the community at large.
Amount of the Award:
One award per year in the amount of $2,000.00.
Who May Apply:
This award is available to any youth who was in the care of the Children’s Aid Society of Pictou County and who was placed for adoption either in Pictou County or elsewhere in Nova Scotia. It is also available to youth who were in care elsewhere in Nova Scotia and who were placed with adoptive families in Pictou County. These youth must enroll in a recognized post-secondary education program within two years of their high school graduation
Recipients can only receive this award once.
Applications may be submitted by email (with all documents in pdf format) or regular mail at the address below and must be received no later than June 8, 2016.
An application form may be downloaded from the link below, or by contacting the Aberdeen Health Foundation office.
Pat Lord Award April 26, 2016 (PDF, 1.3 mb)
For your reference, you may wish to bookmark this page: www.aberdeenhealthfoundation.com/patlordaward/
Applications must be accompanied by:
- Proof of acceptance in a recognized post-secondary education program; (For the successful applicant, monies will be sent to the educational institution once proof of registration has been received by the Selection Committee);
- Information on other scholarships and bursaries you have received;
- A letter of recommendation from an adult who knows you fairly well and who is not related to you ie: a teacher, guidance counsellor, youth group leader, minister, employer, etc.
- A 500 word essay introducing yourself to the Selection Committee. This essay should help the Committee get to know you and should include:
- your educational and career goals
- your non-academic involvement at your school or community at large
- what being an adoptee has meant for you
- what this award would mean to you
All applications will be brought before the Selection Committee and evaluated based on the criteria above. The Committee will include a minimum of three individuals who have been deemed by the Aberdeen Health Foundation Children’s Aid Endowment Fund Committee to be appropriate adjudicators for this award.
For further information contact:
Pat Lord Education Award c/o Susan Malcolm
Aberdeen Health Foundation
835 East River Road
New Glasgow, NS, B2H 3S6
902-752-7600 ext. 4442
Download Application Form:
Pat Lord Award April 26, 2016 (PDF, 1.3mb)